Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Friday, October 20, 2006

More about Japanese TV

Friday afternoons, occasionally, I have the opportunity to have lunch with an array of teachers and school administrators. We eat in a special room reserved for just this occasion. And the PTA was nice enough to have put in a small television for our viewing pleasure. Since I don't watch TV at home... this is about the only chance I have to watch Japanese TV. And do ya know what always astonishes me???? The fact that no matter the program, there is almost always a discussion panel. A panel of people who need to discuss what the heck is going on in the TV show.

For example, we are watching Japanese Blind Date (yes... they even have those cheesy comments and cartoons pop up onto screen)... but every now and again they pause the date to go to the panels opinions about how the date is going. Game shows, reality TV, news programs, educational programs, MTV, ... one time I even saw it on a soap opera (though that isn't very common). They even have a panel show that has its own inner panel. A panel of people will watch a quirky video or listen to a song and they will comment on it, then they will show the inner panel and their opinions about the main panels opinions.

Panels alomst always include, but are not limited to; one really stupid hot chick in a frilly mini skirt, a plain looking intelligent woman wearing glasses, a handsome man who is straight but not afraid to wear a dress for a cheep laugh and old dude wearing sun glasses.

Why you ask???? I have no clue??? I do have a theory about it though. Japanese people are known for being a lot of talk but not a lot of action. Before any action can occur they need to have dozens of meetings and then have a meeting about the meetings... then like 4 years later something might be done about the problem... but usually it's too late and they need to start revising the solution they just fixed. I think that Japanese people are just really good at being full of hot air. What are your opinions about Japanese Panels?

No comments: