Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fall Bentos

Recently, I have started making Juan and I bentos for dinner. Why? Originally it was for portion control, but I have noticed that along with portion size our food bills have also decreased. And since I no longer have to make bentos for lunch, my large assortment of bento making supplies are no longer going to waste. Here's some pictures I took of one special bento I made for the harvest moon viewing.

Usually Japanese people serve mochi or eggs for the fall moon viewing, but I went with meatballs covered in cheese.

Because Japanese folklore tells of a rabbit living in the moon, pictures of rabbits are seen everywhere this time of year.


Sweet potatoes are also associated with the cooler months in Japan. These yams are baked then covered in honey and black sesame. Juan's pickles are just ordinary dill pickles. I buy the special tsukemono (Japanese pickles) for myself (can you find the pickled eggplant above?) Also a special bento wouldn't be complete without a few loving touches such as a lotus radish or flowered carrots.
Happy Fall Everyone!!!

No comments: