Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Tuesday, June 06, 2006




Last Sunday I was privileged to be invited to the Nonaka's home. It was Mr. Nonaka's Kan Reki (60th birthday (or more precisely 60 cycles)). Traditionally, this is a milestone marker in a person's life, however (according to some of my teachers) because people live a much longer life... 80 is now the new 60. However, I am always up for a celebration of life and felt honored to be included in the intimate family gathering.
On your 60th birthday, red is the color to wear, however Mr. Nonaka felt hesitant wearing red... therefore he sported a pink shirt instead. This was also Mr. Nonaka's first time to blow out candles on a birthday cake (sorry, the photos were blurry). And in the grand tradition of celebrations in Japan... there was lots of good food and lots of sake.

Sunday also marked Rie-chan's 5th month. This is the day in which babies start eating food. So, Rie-chan had mashed up squash and a wheat tea. I don't think she liked it at first, but after a few minutes she was crying every time you took the spoon away.

I also met Meg's brother-in law for the first time... Jun is 3 months my younger and not quite baby savvy yet. Practice Jun... Practice.

As always, Mrs. Nonaka exceeded herself in the kitchen and it was nice to see Meg and her wonderful family again. Thank you for a wonderful afternoon. Arigatogozaimashta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a Lovely afternoon. I too miss the family with the most loving hearts. To you all, thank you. Pamela