Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Friday, June 09, 2006

Engrish??? Not this time ! !

This week has been pretty boring, but not bad. I actually got some work done for school, not as much as I had originally wanted, but more than as of late. I really need to get that fire lit under my butt. I am teaching a seminar for the city again this summer. It's coming up in 6 weeks and I haven't prepared one ounce of material yet. I know that once I do my life will cease being difficult for a few months. I just have no motivation to sit down and prepare about 50 lesson plans with worksheets, games and activities for these 6 seminars. Hopefully it will all come together in the end (just like last year), and as of August 1st I will be free for 4 weeks. Because everyone knows you don't become a teacher for the great pay... it's for the VACATION time.

Anywhooooo, my random picture of the day is courtesy of one of my 6th grade students. I was sitting at my desk, chatting on-line when some students came into the teacher's room. They were there to clean (because there are no janitors... the kids clean everything), just like they do everyday after lunch time recess. The students usually end up cleaning over by my desk in hope that I will be looking at something really cool on my computer or that I will chat with them so they can take a break from cleaning. I start talking with some of the kids when I do double take on one of their shirts. "Does that say what I think it does?. Yes it does! Holy UnKo(poo) Batman!"

Yes. It is true that incomprehensible word order (aka jinglish/engrish) often appears on clothing in Japan... but this was totally comprehensible. Luckily no one reads English. Other things I have seen students and teachers wear to school? Clothing with beer labels, profanity, perversion and of course the ever favorite pot leaf. When you walk into a class room with the teacher in a Budweiser sweatshirt, one girl with a Playboy t-shirt on and one boy wearing a t-shirt with Bob Marley tokin' on some refer... you know it is just another day at an elementary school in Japan. Thank god they start wearing uniforms in junior high!

No comments: