Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Tuesday, January 15, 2008

back in the saddle

Juan and I have been back to work for about a week now and all that I can say is that spring better hurry up because all this winter is making me want to curl up inside my house with a blanket and a cup of tea. Since I don't start my regular job until 4 in the afternoon, it is nearly dusk when I set off to work, It makes me feel like I am a lady of the night (minus the high heels and red lipstick). As nice as it is to have my mornings free to do errands, eat breakfast and such... I do miss having the regular 9-5 job.

and speaking of regular jobs... once again I am looking for a better position for next year. The resume and cover letter have been updated and everyday I have been surfing the job sites. What's wrong with my current job you say??? Oh nothing until about 5 weeks ago when my boss made up the schedule for next year and forgot to disclose to her employees that she is cutting our annual vacation time from almost 7 weeks a year to 4!
FYI Vacation time in Japan is set by the Japanese holidays. Average time off for English teachers is at least 5 weeks a year. One week for Golden Week (April), 2 Weeks for Ceremony of the Dead (August) and 2 weeks for New Years and sometimes 1 week for Spring Break (late March).
But my boss has seen fit to shorten our New year's vacation and completely take away our Spring Break and Golden Week. She didn't even have the decency to send us a memo about it. She started giving the students the new schedule without even consulting the teachers. That's Ridiculous! Along with hundreds of other little things on top of this.... I have decided not to work there anymore full time after my contract is complete. However, I might stay on as an hourly worker (30 bucks an hour and 9 weeks of vacation a year thank you) because it is a really easy job and I like my students.

Juan and I have been loosely offered a full time position with our current part time company. As of yet I have not seen or signed any formal offer complete with salary and benefits. And I don't like putting all of my eggs in the same basket. So for the time being, I am back in the saddle of the proverbial job hunt once again.

No comments: