Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Thursday, March 20, 2008

Things are looking up

No more need to worry. I have a job!!! I am now an English language teacher at Meiji Gakuin High School. It's part-time, but it will look really good on my resume. The school is part of the Meiji Gakuin University which just happens to be a really expensive private christian university in down town Tokyo. When I walked onto the campus, it was like walking on to a huge old ivy league school, which seems so out of place in modern Tokyo. So now I just need to pick-up 8-10 more lessons to make up the difference in pay. There are tons of private teaching jobs available in the city, so I am not really worried about it.

And now the really good news....

I got into the Maters program I wanted!!!! Yeah!!!

Starting as of April 1st I will be a graduate student at the University of Birmingham's (in the UK) Masters Degree TESL/TEFL Overseas Distant Learning Program. WOO-HOO!!!

Super big Thanks go out to Chris Barzak, Toyoda Sensei, Chieko-san and Kumiko-san for writing me awesome letters of recommendation. You all have helped me take a step in the direction of becoming a better and more qualified ESL teacher. So hopefully after 2 years of coursework classes, a 12,000 word dissertation and about $18,000 ... I will be more prepared to enter a JR college teaching position while Juan goes to school. Sounds good right?? Yep, it definitely sound good to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats woman!!! I'm so proud of you!
--Rachel

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jody!! I'm glad things are going great & you'll be on your way to being a Master teacher! =)

Christopher Barzak said...

Congrats, Jody!!! I knew you'd get in, though. ;-)