Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lunch with a co-worker

Yesterday started midterm week at my school. Luckily enough, because I only see my students once a week, I don't have to give a midterm. YEAH!!! Less work for me. I do however have to  proctor a few tests, but I am always finished by lunch time. Yesterday, another teacher who I have be-acquaintanced suggested we go out for lunch at a french restaurant she knows. We got a reservation and after proctoring we were off!  

COTE D'OR is a cozy, elegantly simple French restaurant and can be found completely off the beaten track somewhere in the residential area of Minato-ku (where I work). This is probably the most posh restaurant I have ever been to, but the food and the staff come off well mannered without being pretentious.  This restaurant is popular with celebrities from TV stars to Kabuki actors who want an intimate dining experience, good food without all the fru-fru decorations and a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Luckily enough, the lunch crowd mostly consisted of upper class housewives who have nothing better to do than lunch for 3 hours with their friends, so the dress code was not as formal.

Because our menu was in French and Japanese, and my french being a little rusty, my coworker chose our  feast. Of course bottled mineral water, fresh french bread, more silverware than is in my apartment, 1 afternoon mimosa,  and the guy whose job it is to vacuum crumbs off the table with that silver crumb catcher thing were also enjoyed.

1st course
Appetizer: slice of grilled bread with melted cheese and tiny dried shrimp

2nd Course
Some kind of cheese and fish pate (I think) with baby greens tossed in a citrus vinaigrette

3rd Course
Poached fish of the day with a mustard sauce and spinach

4th Course
Steak likened to a moist pot roast in a red wine sauce with sweet potato puree

5th Course
Not being able to decide on just 2 cheeses, we were given a small selection of all 6 cheeses of the day including an apricot cambert, brie, blue cheese, two kind of goat cheese and a sharp white cheddar

6th Course
Earl Gray Sherbet to cleanse the palate

7th Course
Desert of the day: Mont Blanc (a popular Japanese mouse desert made from chestnuts), espresso and cookies.

YUMMY!!!!! 

Sorry. There are no pictures and COTE D'OR is so upscale they don't have a website. If you have the money and the time on your hands than this place was small, simple, delicious and fabulous. 

No comments: