Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Saturday, November 15, 2008

Homemade Spicy Miso Ramen

This one goes out to ALL my Spicy Ramen Lovers who are no longer living in Japan but still crave a delicious bowl of Ramen. This tastes just like the recipe my Shimo Girls (Crystal-lu and Tressa-chan) and I would devour after a long night of drinking Grapefruit Sours at the Shidax Please Karaoke.
The original recipe can be found here. I simplified some of the ingredients to make it more like the Shimo Original Style. Here is my doctored recipe. If you are cooking impaired...I have put links to pictures of the ingredients you may not know. I hope you like it.

Ramen
  • Fresh Ramen Noodles (for two people) (if you can't get fresh noodles try yakisoba noodles or the dry variety you ate in college)

Basic Broth
  • 4 cups of water
  • 4 tablespoons of white miso paste (Miso paste usually comes in a variety of colors. If you are unsure... just pick a light colored one because white miso paste is usually a light tan or yellow color)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Hon-Dashi (dashi is bonito fish soup stock easily found in the Asian food isle of your supermarket or in an Asian supermarket)
  • 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds (the original recipe said to pound these with a pestle and mortar until fine, but I just dumped them in whole and it came out fine)
  • 3-4 Teaspoons of Chili Oil or S&B La Yu (the same kind of chili oil you use to dip your gyoza in) FYI... I used 4 teaspoons and it was SPICY!!!!
  • Light Soy Sauce to taste (optional but not necessary) (PS I used about a 1/2 Tablespoon of regular soy sauce and it seemed fine)

Toppings to resemble Shimo Style Ramen
  • Sliced Pork (I used chicken grilled cooked in a little sesame oil)

Optional Additional Toppings
Corn
Hard boiled eggs
Dried Nori (seaweed)
Narutomaki (that crazy pink swirly fish cake thingy)
Tofu
Ground Beef (or pork or turkey) cooked with soy sauce and chili oil (TanTanMen Ramen)
...or anything elso you like in your ramen.

How to Make Spicy Miso Ramen


1. Ramen
Throw the ramen noodles in a pot of boiling water until cooked (Look on the package for cooking time or test it like you would pasta. Mine took about 3 minutes) Once cooked, rinse with cold water, drain and set aside.

2. Broth
Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil. Then add miso paste, hon-dashi and sesame seeds. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to 3.5 cups of water (About 5 mins????) Once reduced, add the chili oil and light soy sauce to taste.

3. Toppings
In a serving bowl add the noodles and desired toppings arranged in a pleasing manor. Pour or ladle the broth into the bowl. (If you ladle, make sure you stir the broth up... otherwise you end up with either all spice or all miso broth)

4. Eat and Enjoy
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! I'm SO going to try it! I'm missing our ramen so bad. :( Thanks for the recipe Jody-chan!!

xx Crystal-lu

Anonymous said...

I made it! It was delicious! But my chili oil wasn't spicy enough. Well, it'll be even better next time. Thanks again!

xx Crystal-lu

Jody (White) and Juan Leon said...

Hey Crystal-lu,

I think when I made it I accidentally used tablespoons. Whatever I used, I used almost the entire bottle of chili oil for two servings. SPICY!!!

Lots of Love,
Jody