Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Friday, April 03, 2009

Freshman in Ueno

Ueno is know as hanami central for Tokyo, but I have actually never been. So I made Juan accompany me (only if I promised we could go to Akiba afterward) to Ueno park. I have to say, the best part of my day was seeing the freshman.

Freshman are what newly hired employees are called. And since almost all companies hire newbies in April, the first official duty of any and all freshman is to plan the cherry blossom viewing party a.k.a. hanami. They arrive at the early hours of the day, mark their territory with blue tarps, haul in tables, food and lots of alcohol and wait. Wait all day until the boss says it's quitting time. Those poor lonely freshman sitting on those big blue tarps in their formal black suits waiting. If they procure a good spot and the hanami goes well then they will forever be remembered as those who threw a wonderful hanami. Their future reputations rest in this one day. It is very serious business.I love how this guy is protecting the mountain of beer!!!!

No comments: