Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Demons out! Luck in!


Happy Setsubun!!! Setsubun aka the bean throwing festival is every year on February 3rd in Japan. It celebrates a cleansing of bad luck/demons/omens from ones home and life.
There are many regional variations of what to do on Setsubun. Normally a member of the family who was born in the year of the current animal zodiac throws dried beans out of the house, or at a person wearing a demon mask, and shouts "Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uchi!" or "Demons out! Good luck in".


Neither Juan or I are Tigers, so we ended up just eating the beans. I tried to throw a couple of beans at Juan, but he says it didn't count because he's not a demon (hmmm??? really? Mr. Leon is not a demon?).


Another tradition is to eat a bean for every year you have lived. Thank goodness I haven't lived that long yet because those beans were very dry. I needed two glasses of water just to get them all down. And yes, I am an awesome wife because I found these Rilakuma beans for Juan.


Happy Setsubun Everyone!!!

No comments: