Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Wednesday, April 26, 2006

V is for... you better get your ass to the theaters and see this damn movie or else I will come over and pummel your ass.

V is fo Vendetta

"Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante known only as "V." (Hugo Weaving) Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V urges his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself--and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption." Courtesy of Yahoo Movie Page.

So... like why haven't you seen this movie yet? It has been out in America for over a month now? Were you busy? Did you not have an extra 10 bucks? Do you not live in America? Have you already seen it and now feel the urge to see it again?

OK, I may be behind the times by western standards, but V for Vendetta just opened in Japan this Saturday. I don't know whether it was because I was drunk off the two glasses of red wine and 10 lbs of meat from my delicious shabu-shabu dinner or because I have not seen a movie in a movie theater for a really, really really long time... but I loved it! I also happen to love the smell of freshly popped carmel corn at the theater in Tsukuba... but I digress.

Hugo Weaving, known for his roles in such movies as Pricilla: Queen of the Desert (remember the ping pong scene?), The Matrix and Lord of the Tings Trilogy was fantastic in the role of "V". He was such a suave, sophisticated, vigilante... I would have made out with him. Natalie Portman (mostly recognised for her baldness, just kidding) was lovely as Evey, but when did she get an accent?

One thing, in particular, I thought was interesting about the movie was the overwhelming view about people who are gay. In this "alternate universe" people are not allowed to be gay and thier option to do so is deadly. God, I hope this is just an extreme exuaguration of reality. But with rights being denied left and right over the world... who knows what may happen if we continue to allow our governments to choose what sex we can marry, the option to adopt and have a family, the right to keep a job, to have benifits for spouses, to serve one's county ect, ect... You can fight and die for your country, ya just can't kiss your fellow man (or woman).

Well if ya live in Japan, I suggest you pay the 18 bucks it takes to see a movie in this country and go and see "V". If you have already seen this movie let me know what you thought. And if you happen to live in a country where this movie has not been released, I suggest you move. Ja ne.





No comments: