Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Thursday, September 21, 2006

UnDoKai = Sport's Day

Last Saturday was Sport's Day for all of the Elementary Schools in Yachiyo. One school in particular invited me to their festivities back in July. And since I thought the gesture was so nice... I decided to attend only their Sports Day.

After my late arrival on Saturday I was wisked away to box seats. I was one of the only women to procur such a prominate chair. I spent my day lounging under a large tent being served ocha (green tea), ice tea and snacks. I felt like the Dutchess of Yachiyo hobnobbing with all the the local politicians, prominant buisness men and outstanding community leaders. Of course they all know I don't speak a lick of Japanese, but that did not stop most of them from exchanging small talk, words of praise, nosy questions about my personal life and all around pleasantries. I waved to my students, who were quite happy (shocked and happy) that I was at their big day. I Cheered on everybody and really enjoyed my day as an observer of this strange yet traditional Japanese custom.

No comments: