Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Thursday, October 25, 2007

Aowdori Dance Festival



Here's a lucky picture I got of one of my students dancing in the Aowdori Festival in Koenji. Koenji is a stop on the sobu-chuo line (about 12 minutes west of Shinjuku station) and where I am lucky enough to get to work everyday. The area is a great place to live (if you can afford it) with lots of great restraunts and kooky little indie clothing shops that are all the rage with Tokyo's shopping addiced youth.

Every year thousands of people flock to Koenji to watch this Aowdori dance parade. Groups dance in a traditional mannor with traditional clothing. Each group has their own band that plays the japanese flute along with big taiko drums. The dancers chant a sing song melody as they dance down the street. I had wanted to show you the video, but I can't get it small enough to post on blogger. Anyways, just as I went outside during work to snap a few pictures, I came across one of my students chanting and dancing up a storm. So here is Hario-chan in all her happy glory.

No comments: