Local Time in Nippon (Japan)

The local time is

New Year's News

New Year's News

I have been sick since before Xmas, I have stayed home for almost two week. I am getting better and I hope to be better in time for work.


Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dancing at Sports Day


Fujimi is an all girls school and with girls comes dancing. Along with some of the dance clubs, 5 out of the 6 grades performed choreographed dances at sports day (one grade was canceled due to influenza). The same themes and paraphernalia are used every year, but the steps and music differ from year to year. The students start learning and practicing their dances during gym class from the beginning of the school year in April. They usually practice with just their homeroom classmates, but about two weeks before sports day they finally put all the homerooms together for lots and lots of practice. Lucky for me... from the teacher's room I had a great view and air conditioning.

My Junior 1 students did a kind of rhythmic gymnastic/dancing routine with balls.



The Jr 2 students, who I don't teach, did a really great flag dance!! It looked amazing with over 200 students participating.

video

My Junior 3 students did some kind of traditional dance that involved hitting two bamboo sticks together. It had an upbeat tempo and the girls really practiced hard to make it perfect.

video

This year I don't teach Senior 1 or Senior 2. The senior 1 girls were out sick, but the senior 2 girls were my favorite by far. They did this Okinawa drum dance. The girls were singing, chanting, dancing and smiling the entire time. They really looked like they were having a good time. Even a few of the teachers got into the action.

video

As the last dance of the day came on I noticed that I was running out of space on my memory card. Therefore, there is no video for the senior 3 girls, but I really tried to take some good photos. The Senior 3 dance is a long standing tradition. The dance is choreographed entirely by the students and their dancing is supposed to tell the story of the past 6 years at this school. They use white veils and colorful fans to help establish movement and emotion. The tradition of wearing the school uniform during the dance dates back over 100 years.


I hope you enjoyed looking at my little videos and pictures as much as I did.
JA NE!

No comments: